Sunday, February 13, 2011

Lucy Schwartz Interview




In between classes I had the chance to sit down in my my Math teachers room and interview Ms. Lucy Schwartz. Lucy is on tour with The Civil Wars and seems to be enjoying it. Her latest album life in letters introduces the young artist to some listeners but most people have already heard her. Her song "Darling I do", was in the movie "Shrek Forever After", and her songs have also been in films such as "Post Grad", "Mother & Child", (one of my favorite movies) "Adam". They can also be heard on numerous TV shows including "Grey's Anatomy", "Make it or break it","ER", "Brothers and Sisters", and MTV's "I used to be fat", I really enjoyed speaking with her and she had a lot to say.


Michelah Desnai: So Lucy You have an album called "life in letters", Do you want to tell us a little bit about that?

Lucy Schwartz: it's my new record, i've made two records the first one was was called "winter in june", Life in letter was based on life as a song writer.


Michelah Desnai: A song from your album "My Darling", was featured on MTV's "I used to be fat", How did that opportunity come about and what was that experience like hearing your song on MTV?

Lucy Schwartz:I wasn't there when it appeared on MTV but I've had a lot of experience in writing songs for things like that and it is a great way for your music to be heard.


Michelah Desnai:You recorded this album with Mitchell Froom, and you recorded each instrument separately, what made you decide to do that instead of having a band come in and play for you, and how much different was that than playing with a band?

Lucy Schwartz:um' well theres some music that feels like it suits a band and then there is some music that you feel like it needs to be more specific.


Michelah Desnai:You have a lot of ambitions what makes you so driven and how do you keep that drive, how do you keep from getting discouraged?

Lucy Schwartz:It is hard sometimes because it is a very slow process and it doesn't always feel like your going somewhere sometimes, and music is very much who I am, it takes a long time to record your song and get it out there, like I have written new songs and I want to get them out there now.


Michelah Desnai:You are a young artist living in LA what do you think makes you different from the other artist living in your town?

Lucy Schwartz:Well I think LA gets a bad rep for being a place where people want to be stars and I hope I standout for what I have to say.


Michelah Desnai: Your sound is very unique, how did you find your own sound, instead of trying to copy someone else?

Lucy Schwartz:It kind of came naturally and kind of changed over time and I'm sure I have been influenced by other artist, if I feel like a song doesn't fit my voice than I won't sing it . I found a song I had recorded when I was thirteen and it's kind of funny to listen to because it sounds like a completely different person.


Michelah Desnai:What was the first step you took to achieve you goal as a singer?

Lucy Schwartz:Well, thats a long process, I think I set my mind and was determined and made things happen ( laughs) and I wasn't afraid to reach out to other artist and ask if they wanted to collaborate on something.


Michelah Desnai: What do you want your music to give to the world?

Lucy Schwartz:I hope that it inspires other people and makes them feel something whether thats happiness or another emotion.


Michelah Desnai: What fact about yourself would you like your fans to know about you?

Lucy Schwartz:I'm very silly and I like to talk in different accents throughout the day.


Michelah Desnai: What advice could you give to young artist that you think will be most helpful in their careers?

Lucy Schwartz:I would say patience and determination and I'm on on tour with the civil wars and they were an independent artist for along time and now some great things are happening with them, but you have to keep at it.


Michelah Desnai:How is that tour going?

Lucy Schwartz: It's going great The civil wars are as nice as they seem.

No comments:

Post a Comment